Alex is an educational consultant specialising in Phonics and Early Reading. She has over twenty years’ experience working in Early Years and Primary education as a teacher, senior leader, and Local Authority moderator.
As the founder of Sound!Start Phonics and developer of the Sound!Start Phonics for Letters and Sounds complete SSP programme, Alex has created a range of classroom resources and assessment and intervention materials which are used in schools across the country. She is well-known for delivering engaging and insightful training for schools and other organisations across the UK and further afield.
- Wed 31 Jan 2024
- 15:45 - 16:45
Staff Meeting: Phonics – Practice Makes Permanent
For: Reception and KS1 practitioners and phonics/reading leads
Supporting all children to master ‘the code’
This training will cover:
- The importance of repeated practice in securing phonic knowledge and skills
- Strategies for establishing a systematic approach to repeated practice as children progress through your chosen SSP
- Practical ideas for building “Ongoing Phonics” practice into your daily routine Attending the session will:
- Ensure delegates understand the pedagogy behind repeated / ongoing phonics practice
- Enable teachers to build systematic repeated practice of taught knowledge and skills into their day-to-day teaching
- Provide support with monitoring the impact of systematic repeated Practice
Full disclosure, if this was me, I’d be looking at getting my whole staff to attend, I’d explain to KS2 that I wanted them to hear what was going on in EYFS and KS1 (especially after lockdown). I’d also sort TAs attending – you can give them plenty of notice and sort out how time is exchanged (if they don’t usually attend staff meeting sessions).