Alex is an educational consultant specialising in Phonics and Early Reading. She has over twenty years’ experience working in Early Years and Primary education as a teacher, senior leader, and Local Authority moderator.
As the founder of Sound!Start Phonics and developer of the Sound!Start Phonics for Letters and Sounds complete SSP programme, Alex has created a range of classroom resources and assessment and intervention materials which are used in schools across the country. She is well-known for delivering engaging and insightful training for schools and other organisations across the UK and further afield.
- Thu 9 Nov 2023
- 13:00 - 15:30
Phonics: Understanding the Alphabetic Code
For: Anyone involved in teaching and monitoring phonics (reading and spelling)
This training will cover:
- The significance of the alphabetic code.
- The reversable processes of reading and spelling.
- The technical vocabulary required for teaching reading and spelling with clarity.
- Accurate segmentation and correct pronunciation of phonemes.
- The importance of practice.
Attending the session will:
- Provide a secure understanding of the alphabetic code and the principles underpinning the teaching of reading and spelling.
- Support effective and consistent teaching and assessment of phonics for reading and spelling.
- Enable teachers and leaders to evaluate their own subject knowledge and identify areas for further training and / or coaching support.
Feedback repeatedly asked for phonics support, particularly something that could be accessed by KS2 colleagues who haven’t had in depth phonics training and are now, as a result of gaps caused by lockdown needing some additional support. You asked, here it is.